A little background...my maintenance man has been on vacation this week and I'm scared to death of snakes...
Once upon a time (this morning) a resident called the office....
"There is a snake curled up staring at me at my patio door."
"What do you want me to do?" I ask.
"Come kill it!" she squeaks.
"Um...I'm don't do snakes." I reply.
"It's your job!" she yells.
Now at this point, I didn't feel the need to explain to her that I'm paid to collect rent...not play with snakes. I told her I would see what I could do.
At the time of her call, I had a deputy in my office talking about other things, so I asked him if he could shoot it...he said no...So I asked if he could catch it...he said no...I asked him if there was anything he could do...he said no...come to find out, he's just as scared of snakes...
So I gather up all the courage I had...which was not much and I start searching through the maintenance shop for a large tool and the only thing I could find is the shovel...
I start walking across the parking lot and grass in my dress and high heels with the shovel dragging behind me.
I get to her back patio door and I see the snake right where she said it was. I try to figure out if I am suppose to smash the snake on the head with the shovel or if I'm suppose to try to chop it in half...while I'm taking my sweet time thinking about it, I notice something moving in the bush next to me...I turn and see another snake staring at me...
Let me paint a picture for you...
Here I am in a skirt, heels and holding a shovel...I come eye to eye with this snake...I start jumping around screaming and swinging the shovel at everything I can see...the bush did not survive...the snake on the other hand, slithered toward the other snake on the patio...
I stop to catch my breath and notice that a few (15-20) residents are standing around giggling at me...did any of them offer their assistance...NO!
I start to walk away and I hear the original resident scream, "Take the snakes with you!"
I stop, sigh and turn toward the snakes. They are side by side and look to be sleeping...as if all this carrying on didn't worry them one bit.
I decide that hitting the snakes with the flat part of the shovel would be the best way to handle things. I could knock two snakes out with one hit...Do you see where this is going...it turns out that hitting a snake with a flat shovel just makes them mad...and a mad snake wants to bite at things...
Fear set in at this moment and I started chopping away with the shovel...by the time it was all over with, it looked like a million little worms on the patio.
Again, I turn to leave, satisfied with a job well done when I hear..."Are you going to clean off my patio?"
I am sweating, breathing hard, wore out and my clothes are a mess. I see the other residents laughing at the whole picture in front of them and this woman wants me to clean up the snake stew on her patio...
I toss the shovel over my shoulder, look in her direction and say, "Nope, I've done my part. You wanted me to take care of the snake and I doubled the job."
Walking toward the office with the shovel over my shoulder I realize that there is a hole in my pantyhose and one of my heels have broken off. I get to the office and I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror in the foyer and realize that I have mud/dirt or something on my face, my hair is a mess and I've popped a button on my shirt.
I call my boss and leave a message on her machine letting her know that I'm going home and I tell her all about my adventures. I made it home, showered and went back to bed...I'm so glad the weekend is here!
I don't get paid enough for what I have to do for those residents! Hugs...
4 comments:
LOL!
Snake stew! You crack me up, Brenda!
I can laugh about it now, but the other day...I was NOT laughing...grin...
Brenda,
Poor you, but great story! I laughed at the picture of a well-dressed Brenda, weilding her shovel at the cavalier snakes (who knew not their fate).
I'm going to send a link to this post to my friend who manages a complex--she would love your story!
Danette...
I'm sure your friend will understand the "whatever it takes, we gotta do" theme of this story...grin...I just hope she's never had to go to war with snakes...if she ever does, let her know a shovel works great, but I would have rather had a riding mower! grin...
Post a Comment