Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I started a writing course

The local community college is offering an online writing course so I decided to take it. I am so glad I did. I have learned to look at things a differently and may even be thinking about a little change in the type of children's books I want to write.

I always thought I wanted to write picture books, but now I think I am much more interested in writing Emergent Readers and/or early chapter books. Of course, I still have my Middle Grader that I am and have been writing for awhile...

I'm even thinking about trying my hand at a nonfiction story...yikes!

In the next few days, I will be posting some things that I have learned and/or some great websites that I have learned about while taking this course...

I just wanted to check in for today...I took a vacation day to get caught up on some homework and do some research...I'm taking a little break from that at the moment to write on my blog, and check other blogs...before getting back to writing...which, I had better do...Hugs...

3 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

It's good to try new things. When I first started writing, I wanted to writer Picture books. I soon saw that the way I write wasn't a good match, because my style is to be descriptive rather than to allow pictures to enhanse the text. I've tried Chapter Books, Middle Grade, Tween and YA since, and I'm still not settled. I think my writing style is suited more to the MG crowd, but trying new things is what has allowed me to grow.

Hope your journey brings many self discoveries.

Angela Ackerman said...

ugh..enhance, not enhanse. I am spelling challenged.

Brenda said...

Thanks Angela...

With every assignment, I think I change my mind again...grin...

I think I've decided to just write and I'll decide what it is once I've finished...grin...