Monday, June 30, 2008

A cookout for 80 people!!!

Okay, I thought I was stressing out when I did a breakfast for the residents...I mean only about 30 people showed up for that...

But now I'm having a cookout for the residents for the 4th of July and over 80 people have said they are coming!!! What was I thinking?

I have to feed and entertain 80 adults and children...again, what was I thinking? I think I'm about to pass out...grin...

I figure putting some sprinklers out will entertain the children, so that only leaves 65 adults...okay, so the list is smaller, but I'm only one person, what am I going to do for 3 hours with these residents?

I'm going to play bingo and a few other games with them and then of course we will feed them...okay so that takes up an hour...only two hours to figure out what to do...I know I'm going to pass out...grin...is the room spinning...

Do you think the adults would like the sprinklers also? That's a good way to work off the hot dog, right? Kill two birds with one sprinkler...a little exercise and a shower all in one...

I made sure I have lots of gifts/prizes to give out. I figure if things go really wrong, I can bribe them with the gifts/prizes...and if that doesn't work, I'm parking my car really, really close...

My maintenance man is doing the cooking...it would really be an uprising if I cooked...The porter has said she would deal with the kids...and my hubby is coming to laugh at me...okay, not really, but I'm not sure how much help he will be. I'm hoping he can keep some of the residents busy playing horseshoes...then my numbers are even lower of who I have to entertain...

Okay, this might not be too hard...I'm breathing better, the room has stopped spinning...and heck...if things go really wrong, I'll just give everyone free rent for a month...then I won't have a job and I won't plan these things anymore...grin...

I love doing these things, but I freak myself out every time...so if I don't blog for awhile, you know it didn't' go well and I'm hiding out or healing some broken bones...grin...

Hugs...

4 comments:

Tabitha said...

Yikes! 80 people? *80*??? Lordy, sending good thoughts your way...

Brenda said...

Thanks tabitha...I need all the good thoughts I can get...If I survive this...without burning something down...I'm taking the rest of the year off...I wish! grin...

Angela Ackerman said...

80! Wow you are so brave. I have an idea for a game if you're interested--the good thing is that it encourages people to mingle.

What you do is print up 'stickers' of famous couples (Sonny and Cher; Bert and Ernie; Bill Clinton and Monica, etc). Each adult gets one put on the back of their shirt without them seeing what it is, and they have to try to find out who they are and who their partner is by asking questions about themselves (am I famous in a good way, or bad? Am I an actor? A cartoon? you get the idea).

You could have a small prize to award to the first couple or two who find each other or something. We played this at a party and it was a great way to generate conversation between spouses who didn't know each other.

Anyway, your post made me think of it, so I thought I'd mention it.

Brenda said...

Angela...Sounds like a great game...I will put it in my game book for the next time...Thanks again...

P.S. I'm not brave, I'm crazy!!! grin..