What I have noticed...
I spent the day with 2 friends today and during this time I couldn't help but notice a few things...
- My unmarried friend (UMF) was wearing nice fitting name brand jeans with a cute tight fitting multi-colored shirt and a pair of cute little sandals. My recently married friend (RMF) (who has only been married just shy of a year) was wearing jeans, and a cute little t-shirt that had a quirky saying on it and a pair of loafers...then there was me (I've been married almost 10 years)...I was wearing a pair of dark green Capri's, with a sleeveless black sweater...it wasn't baggy, but it wasn't tight fitting either and I had on tennis shoes.
- My UMF had a long flowing loose crimped hair style that looks like she just woke up and shook her head and it fell into place and stays there without any other product, My RMF had a cute little short hair style that bounced a little when she walked and ME...the Farrah Fawcett style only shorter (shoulder length) and enough hair spray to keep it that way in a hurricane...
- My UMF had eye shadow, lipstick, blush, mascara...they works with make-up (she looked good, not "made up")...she had earrings, necklace, bracelets (ankle and wrist) and a watch...My RMF had blush, lipstick, mascara and was wearing earrings, necklace, watch, another ring on her right hand and her wedding ring...ME...I had mascara on and my wedding ring and watch.
- My UMF was watching all the fellas walking by and smiling at them...my RMF was watching them, but not so they could tell and she never made eye contact...and ME...well, I was looking at tube socks for my hubby and didn't see any of the fellas that walked by.
- My UMF at the restaurant...orders a grilled chicken salad & water, my RMF ordered a grilled chicken pasta dish & unsweetened ice tea and then there was ME, I ordered a cheeseburger, fries and a soda...
- Then we went shopping at Victoria Secrets...UMF...thong and matching bra...RMF...a cute little teddy...ME...pj long pants and a t-shirt...with a robe!
This is when I realized that as much as I love being married, I'm not sure I like looking like I'm married.
When the 3 of us were in school, I was the one who would flirt with the boys and always had to beg them to sneak out of their parent's home or stay later then curfew...I was the one with the cute little figure and the tight jeans...and now I'm the one that looks like the mother!
A part of me thinks that being married shouldn't mean we look like it. Now, I'm not talking about taking your wedding rings off...I wouldn't take mine off for anything, but I mean why do most married women let themselves get frumpy? Do we get too comfortable with ourselves and our husbands? Do we just have other things to worry about?
So my question to you is this: Do you look like you are married? And are you okay with that?
Hugs!
4 comments:
Do you ever watch the show on TLC called "What not to Wear?" They hit on this all the time.
I'm always tempted to not care and go around in my yoga pants and a t-shirt , but watching that show really showed me how frumpy that looks. And although looks aren't everything, it can often be a reflection of how you're feeling about yourself inside. Sometimes taking time to make yourself look nice is kind of like giving yourself a hug and telling yourself that you're worth the attention.
I have to find that it's true. You can be comfortable and still look a little more put together. I notice a difference in how I hold myself up when I'm dressed better and people treat me with more respect too.
Looks aren't everything, but looking nice can give you a little boost.
Now go shopping and pamper yourself! :0) You deserve it!
Thanks c.r...I have seen that show and for years have said, "I wouldn't be caught dead in that!" and then the other day, I found out that those type of clothes were exactly what I WAS wearing...
I've set a goal to get back a little bit of my "single look"...
We'll see how it goes...
Thanks again...
I'm in the opposite camp on this one. I've been married for almost 16 years now and wouldn't go back to single dressing for anything. I always hated the pretentious primping. I'm happy to be myself now and yes, although I'm a very casual dresser, I do still always try to look nice. I refuse to dress for other people. I wear what's comfortable. Period. And that's what makes me feel good and gives me a boost - knowing that I don't have to go around being fake and made up anymore. I can just be me. :)
Linda...I agree...I hate the primping and I've always been a casual dresser. I think what hit me the most, was I looked in the mirror when I got home and I saw my mom...I remember when she was my age and when I never thought I would be this age and I think that is what hit me the most...
When did I become my mom? I remember my son's basketball team voting me best looking mom for both seasons that my son played...and that was only 4 years ago! My son wasn't so hot on the fact that they looked at me like that...but it was pretty good for my ego...grin...
Post a Comment