Saturday, September 6, 2008

Can I have some cheese with this whine?

WARNING!! WARNING!! WARNING!! THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOTHING MORE THEN A WHINING SESSION!

Run quickly to the nearest exit and don't look back...


My husband forgot our plans for my birthday! My birthday is actually next weekend, but he is having surgery this coming Friday, so we had made plans to go to dinner and celebrate my birthday this weekend (because he is going to still be pretty drugged up on my actual birthday from surgery)...actually we decided we would celebrate today...

Now, I could march out to the living room and say to him, "Hey honey, you about ready to go celebrate my 42nd birthday? You know like you said we were going to do."...but I won't do that...I have my pride...I would rather sit here in my writing room, alone and waiting for the cheese to show up...

How am I sure he isn't planning something, you ask? Because...he is in his pj's and when I asked if we needed anything at the store, (hoping to trigger something in his memory) he said, "I hope not, because I'm not going anywhere else this evening. I'm tired from walking all over the mountain looking for a good place to hunt this year. Besides, we gotta get up early in the morning to milk." Yes, I have a lot to look forward to this evening for my birthday...

LAST WARNING!!! Here comes more whining...where is that darn cheese?

Years ago, I decided I hated my birthday. Nothing ever went right on my birthday. And since I don't like to whine alone, I have decided to share a few of the reasons I hate my birthday with you...you asked for it, you kept reading even after I warned you, now you can't leave...you have to finish this whine and cheese party with me...
  1. We moved into our brand new house a week before my birthday 3 years ago...when my birthday rolled around, my hubby was in Colorado hunting with friends of his (yes, this was a planned trip, but somehow he kept avoiding telling me the date of the trip until a few days before he was about to leave)...Anyway...the morning of my birthday, I get up (grumpy) because the phone won't quit ringing...everyone and their mother felt sorry for me because hubby was hunting and not spending time with me...okay, so I had the pleasure of talking to everyone I know...the problem, I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone...I wanted to whine that year also...and then for the kicker...I hear this noise, so I go to investigate...our basement was flooded, a pipe had burst and I had to walk through ankle high water to find a shut off valve that I know my hubby told me about before we moved in, but I wasn't listening, so I follow the noise, I find the shut off valve, I call the plumber and I spent the next few hours with a couple of real charmers...who fix the leak and leave the clean up to me...oh well...it got me through my birthday and well into the next morning...oh and while I was cleaning up the water, and cursing a little...okay a lot, I didn't hear the phone ring...it was my hubby calling from a mountain to wish me happy birthday...
  2. Then there was the year that I ended up sick as a dog...Nothing like having your hubby think he is going to cheer you up by inviting several friends over...and let us not forget the tradition of making a wish...not only did I look horrible, but I tossed my cookies all over everyone and the cake when I was trying to blow out the candles...I don't remember that being my wish...
  3. Oh and then the year my hubby and I went out to celebrate my birthday and I ordered a drink...just so the little waiter dude could card me...but he never even asked for my ID, so I said to him, "You don't want to get in trouble do you? You had better make sure you card EVERYONE who orders alcohol." and he looks at me and says, "Oh, I only card people who look young. You'll be fine. I know you gotta be way over 21." My hubby decided he better get me out of there quick, before I made it so that poor boy wouldn't live to see his 21st birthday!
  4. And the year I turned 35, my friends and family had a surprise party for me...now that was fun...and then they brought out the cake...chocolate...okay good so far...and then I read the cake...Happy 37th Birthday! I sat there, shocked, because it was my very own mother who had made the cake and decorated it...she couldn't have made it 27!
  5. Last but not least, the year I spent in 4 bathrooms cleaning up after a water leak...yes, that was a special one...the sewage had backed up into one apartment and then it flooded from a leak in another apartment...by the time maintenance and myself got there..there was some really nice "gifts" floating around and by the time we got the water shut off and things fixed, 4 apartments had flooded...Yes, that was a special birthday...one I will never forget, I'm sure...

I only listed 5, because when this whine is over with, I do want you to come back and read my blog again, so I didn't want to chase you away for good by going on and on with more stories...and trust me there are a lot more stories like these...

Okay, whine over...cheese never did come...of course with my luck someone will probably cut the cheese so that will be the perfect ending to my whine...

Hugs and Here's hoping your birthdays are filled with happy, happy memories and a waiter who will card you long after you are past 21 years of age...

9 comments:

Rena Jones said...

Oh, my, goodness! I totally see why you hate birthdays. The day isn't over yet, so maybe your husband will come around.

((((((HUGS)))))) Brenda and ...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you!

Cate Gardner said...

Happy Birthday for next weekend. Do you want me to get on a plane and hit your hubby on the head with something? LOL!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday a week ahead, Brenda! I'm sorry your evening was so sucky! And, those awful birthdays! Sheesh! I will never complain about mine again!

I hope maybe things turned out better after your post!

Julia from Verla's

Brenda said...

Thank you all for the birthday wishes...

In the morning light, I have to say, my hubby is NOT a bad guy...I'm sure he is thinking about his surgery and nothing else and I feel bad for whining when I should be worried about the same thing...

I guess the rainy weather was making me blue...The sun is out this morning and I feel better...

Thanks for listening to my whine.

Adrienne said...

Oh, Geez...my husband forgot mine once. I have to circle the date, shove the calendar under his nose, spell out exactly what I want...

Have a very Happy Birthday anyway!

Carrie Harris said...

Awww... I'm so sorry to hear that the birthday plans went kablooie. Can we throw you a blog birthday party? I'll bring the virtual cake!

Brenda said...

adrienne...He is usually very good at remembering these things, I just don't have very good birthdays and I start getting moody on September 1 and stay that way through September 30...grin...

carrie...Thanks for the offer of a blog party...It would be nice to have cake that won't go straight to my hips...I think I'm over my whine and feeling better...

Thanks again to you all for your birthday wishes...

Carrie Harris said...

What kind of cake? I can bake ANYTHING virtual. ;)

Brenda said...

I can eat anything virtual, so bring on the chocolate...grin...

Thanks Carrie...I'm sure it will be delish!