Monday, September 22, 2008

Start the Week with a Story Starter

Being writers we have to look at things in a different way...we have to see things that aren't obvious and we have to create stories from scratch, from an idea or thought...so using a camera can help us do that...

Take a camera and go to the woods, beach, park, mall, parking lot of a busy department store, etc...anywhere you feel inspired...Take a bunch of pictures of everything you see...now use those pictures to tell a story...

Have a family member take a picture (without you being there)...and now write the story of what you think is happening in that picture...

Have someone take a picture of an item, up close (real close) and now write a story about what you think that item is...then see how close your story is to what the item actually is...

Look at your world through a camera's eye...you might be surprised at what you see...Hugs...



8 comments:

Adrienne said...

I did that this weekend! Great for getting your imagination going. I might post the result later on.

sruble said...

Good idea. I usually think about cool things I see and photographs as illustration starters, and things I see people do and bits of overheard dialogue as story starters. There's some crossover, but not enough - thanks for the reminder!

Brenda said...

adrienne...would love to see your results on this...I just got a new camera for my birthday and I can't wait to try it out on something like this...

stephanie...I always go to the mall and watch people...hubs and I try to "pretend" like we know what they are thinking and/or talking about...grin...it can be lots of fun...

C.R. Evers said...

ohhhh! I love camera writing exercises! You have the BEST idea's!

Christy

Brenda said...

Christy...I can't wait to try this out...I'm even excited about going to mall and I NEVER want to go to the mall..grin...

Rena Jones said...

Ooooh, are you sure? My family picks on me because I photograph every pile of scat or dead animal I find. I tell them I need to identify them later but they still get grossed out, especially when a full sized pic of bear poop comes on the screensaver. LOL!

Great idea though -- I like it!

Brenda said...

rena...LOL...okay, maybe you better let someone take the pic for you and you can write the story...

Although, there could be a story there about the bear poop on the screensaver...grin...

Kelly Polark said...

Cute idea!
I have a PB manuscript with my poetry with my dad's bird photos.
I should just take some of his pics and try stories too!