I spent yesterday getting ready for NaNo...which meant I spent all day yesterday cleaning up my writing/craft room...and yes, it took ALL day...
It seems that my writing/craft room has become the dumping place for everything...which means I can't find anything...and I noticed my writing started to be a little...messy...
Here's the before & after pics...
So here's the question...
Do you find that your surroundings influence your writing? I would have to say yes...Friday when I was trying to write, I couldn't make heads or tails of what I was trying to put on paper...This morning (after cleaning the room)...I went back through what I wrote on Friday and redid A LOT of it and now I think it is pretty good...so I'm hoping this little experiment will carry through November and NaNo...
So how does your writing feel/sound/breathe in certain surroundings? Hugs...
6 comments:
Note to self - tidy room before NaNo.
A few weeks back I got out all my old records and they are still all out (including the record player I got when I was 14).
Way to tidy up, Brenda!
I'm not the best housekeeper, but I do find that I write better when my key notebooks/books are handy and neatly in front of me on the coffee table when I write. I've never done my writing at a desk though, always on my couch...
First off, I love the pictures. Shows how human you are and makes me feel better about my messes. Second, I do believe where you write or work makes a difference. I know for my kids, when our classroom is picked up and organized, they work better. If it's messy, they're more distracted. Right now we have Halloween decorations all over our classroom and that's definitely distracting. They'd rather talk about how they want to carve their pumpkins than do their work.
As for my own writing, when I'm working on a story, I usually write elsewhere than our office/classroom. I have a big chair in the living room that I work at or sometimes I write on my bed. Lately, I've had several really fun ideas for stories, but I haven't been able to get myself motivated to start them. I do know I work better when everything is cleaned and picked up, so maybe this should be a clue.
Enjoy your clean space, Brenda! :)
catherine...I feel this way...if this room didn't kick my butt, then NaNo doesn't stand a chance...grin...
kelly...I have always said my house looks lived in...and I wouldn't want it any other way...
rena...after the pic of me milking cows, I have no secrets from you guys...grin...I know here at work if my desk is covered with papers, I feel lost...I've gotten to where I will put everything in the closet in my office and pull out only what I want to work on...I get soo much more done that way...
OMG! My whole apartment looks like your before pictures. *sigh* I'm hoping to have it looking like your wonderful after pictures before NaNo! Except that it's a small apartment and there's no where to put anything. *le sigh* (It sounds less like whining if I pretend I'm speaking a foreign language, right?)
The clutter affects my ability to get anything done, not the quality if I can ignore it and work anyway.
Congratulations on getting de-cluttered. Wish me luck on doing the same!
Okay, Brenda, that is nothing. I've got you beat because I am the original ”Clutter Queen”
My desk is like a closet on those cartoons where you don't want to open the doors too fast or everything will come tumbling out. It could be dangerous.
Post a Comment