Friday, November 28, 2008

Fixing it Fridays

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Did you eat too much? Of course, what fun is Thanksgiving if you can't overeat...grin...

Well, with all that cooking, getting up early to get the turkey in the oven, running around making sure everything is just right before family comes and then all the running around to make sure everyone has what they need...Yikes! Now I know why I always go to my MIL's for Thanksgiving...that and I love my in-laws, so I wouldn't want to hurt them by making them eat my cooking...

So this weeks Fixing It Friday is all about the pain of entertaining (and shopping)...Muscle pain that is...
  1. Alka-Seltzer - Fill a bathtub with warm water and drop in 6 Alka-Seltzer tablets for a soothing bath to relieve sore muscles. (Do NOT do this if you are allergic to aspirin which is a key ingredient in Alka-Seltzer) - Just think, you can take a drink of your bathwater before getting in and you can solve two problems at once...upset tummy from eating too much and aching muscles...grin
  2. Epsom Salt - Add 2 cups Epsom Salt into running bath water. Soak your body to relax your muscles...I have done this and I felt sooo much better afterwards. The magnesium sulfate softens your skin while relaxing the kinks and stiffness in your muscles...
  3. Mustard - Rub a generous amount of mustard into sore muscles, and then cover with a washcloth dampened with warm water as a soothing poultice.
  4. Apple Cider Vinegar - Add 3 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar to warm bath water to soak away sore muscles.

Strange Facts:

  • The strongest muscles in the body are the two masseters on either side of the mouth, which control biting.
  • The largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus, better known as the buttock muscle...
  • The human body has more than 600 major muscles
  • The muscle Elvis Presley used to curl his lip is called the levator labii superioris alaeque nasi. It runs between the nostril and the upper lip.

6 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

I so ate too much!
Well, I learned something new...never knew what the lip curling muscle was called! :0)

Rena Jones said...

Interesting. I wonder if mustard would help my wrists?

Kimbra Kasch said...

I learned so much today. My husband said, as I was reading the mustard hint, "Everyone knows that."

Yeah, right. . .

Kate said...

Good tips and interesting facts, Brenda.

I think my gluteous maximus is rather larger than I want it to be.

C.R. Evers said...

I hope you had a great T-day too!

Happy Shopping!

Brenda said...

kelly...join the crowd...I'm still not zipping my pants up...grin...was that too much info? grin...

rena...I would love for the mustard to help you out...please let me know if you try it and if it works...

kim...I've been asked where I get this info...and now your hubby told my secret...I contact him first...grin...

kate...my gluteous maximus keeps getting a bit larger every year...sigh...grin...if only mustard or vinegar would shrink that muscle, I would be happy!

Thanks Christy... ;)