Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday's Living Green Tips

This list of things are not want most people think of as the normal recycling item. It isn't plastic or paper, but these items are still filling up our landfills and are items that can be recycled...
  1. Eyeglasses -Old eyeglasses can be donated to a variety of organizations, most geared towards helping the elderly and underprivileged. Organizations include the Lions Club, The Gift of Sight and Sight First Recycling Center. Do an Internet search for the organization most convenient to you.
  2. Hearing Aids - There are so many people in need of hearing aids who can’t afford them . Donate your old hearing aids to the Lions Club, the Knights of Columbus, or Sertoma.
  3. Phone Books - If your local recycling center accepts phone books, drop them off there. Otherwise contact the closest Project ReDirectory center. Find your local center with an Internet search or by contacting the company issuing the directories. In my area, we have three high schools in our county...those three high schools have a contest every year to see who can collect the most phone books and then they send them off to be recycled...
  4. Cell phones - Cell phones can be recycled so parts can be re-used or the whole phone refurbished. They are also organizations that give them to the underprivileged and/or abused women who may need them in case of emergency. For more information about recycling cell phones try Charitable Recycling which recycles items for charity groups, Cell Phones for Soldiers which enables or heroes to call home, or Cell for Cash.
  5. Smoke detectors - Some smoke detectors can be returned to the manufacturer. Check with your manufacturer to see if the recycle your particular model. Some smoke detectors are considered hazardous waste because they contain small traces of Americium 241. If this is the case the manufacturer will recommend they’re disposed of as hazardous waste.
  6. Ink Cartridges - Most places that sell ink and toner cartridges will request you recycle your empty cartridges. Many of them also provide return box and postage.
  7. Batteries - If you’re not already using rechargeable batteries, please consider doing so. Most recycling centers will accept batteries, depending on the type. For more about recycling the different types of batteries including cell phone and car batteries, visit Earth 911.
  8. Magazines - Take these to the recycling center or see if a hospital, senior citizen home or library can use them.
  9. Mattresses - Mattresses can be recycled. They’re cleaned, sanitized, restuffed and resold or donated to charitable organizations and homeless shelters. For a mattress recycler near you do an Internet search, they’re all over.
  10. Plastic Bags - Every supermarket has a bin located at the front for dropping off your plastic bags, even those that are torn. You can also make things from old supermarket plastic bags.

So remember, most every item has a second use...and if it doesn't...think before you buy it...do you really need it? What are you going to do once you are done with it?

9 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I hope it's not impolite to advertise a particular business, but I'm real happy to have a Cartridge World where I live. They recycle and refill ink cartridges of all kinds. A refill costs about 1/2 of what a new one does. If there are ANY problems they replace, no questions. Love 'em.

If you happen to do you own oil changes on your car, check out garages in your area. Many take old oil.

Carrie Harris said...

I'm so bad with magazines too. Thanks for the reminder that I should NOT pitch them.

Kimbra Kasch said...

Oh Brenda, I love this post. In my house, we are some recycling fiends. Even when we go to a nice hotel, we walk out carrying our garbage. My husband says, "They won't recycle it."

But throw magazines away, I'm an absolute Clutter Queen - I HATE to throw anything away - good thing I bought my parents large old victorian home. But, you wouldn't want to see my basement - that is - if you could SEE it. It's hard to traverse the things...down there.

Kelly Polark said...

Yay! I believe I recycle most of these! Did not know about the mattress one...but nice to know it can be reused somehow!

Adrienne said...

I love some of the creative things people are making out of recycled materials - I've seen beautiful beads made from magazines, and the other day I saw a really cool purse made from potato chip bags.

Thanks for the list.

Rena Jones said...

Great post Brenda!

Sadly, child carseats can't be taken to places like the Salvation Army. Due to liability, they won't accept them. I've heard of recycling places refusing them too. Do you know of anywhere that might take them? We had 2 booster seats and we left them at our dumpsite. I know someone picked them up right away because people up here are really struggling. The seats hadn't expired yet and were in perfect condition still, so I hope someone was able to grab them before the trash trucks came along.

sruble said...

Thanks for the tips Brenda!

C.R. Evers said...

I had no idea about the batteries and the smoke detectors!

Great list!

Christy

Brenda said...

bish...I wish we had something like that around here...at work I go through copy toner & printer ink like crazy and it is so expensive to purchase new ones...

carrie & kim...you can tear off your address labels and donate them to a women's shelter or to your local hospital or nursing home...that way they are getting a little longer use...

kelly...the mattress was a little shocking to me also...never would have thunk it...

adrienne...I've seen the magazine beads...they look like real beads...I wish I could be that creative...

rena...try a women's shelter or check with your local dept of social services...in my area these agencies will take them and they have them looked over for safety and then they give them out to families who can't afford them...if I hear of anything else, I will let you know...

sruble...you're welcome...hugs...

christy...When we replaced all the smoke detectors at the complex a few years back, I checked with the manufacturer first and they said they would take them all (74 of them) and they paid the postage to take them! It pays to ask...