Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday's Green Living Solutions

Last night I was going through my closet looking for a sweater that I knew I had, but couldn't find. I tore through hanger after hanger of clothes that I haven't had on in years and that's when it hit me...I need to recycle these clothes. Most of them were in good shape, and some not so good. I pulled everything out of my closet and divided the clothes up...

Well, today I spent a little time searching for things to do with my old clothes and this is what I've found:

Organize a clothes swap.

  1. Invite your friends & ask your friends to invite their friends
  2. About 10-15 people is the goal - aim for all shapes & sizes
  3. If you are hosting the swap at your house, make sure you have at least two full-length mirrors available
  4. For those of us who are modest, make sure there are other rooms available to dress and undress. If this isn't possible, remind people they can wear a body suit or bathing suit underneath their clothing if they wish.
  5. Clothes swaps can be seasonal, but they don't have to be: The best clothes swaps have all seasons clothing.
  6. If two people want the same item, you can have fun with this by either a coin toss, or have a friendly little bidding war or having each person model the item of clothing and have a vote (do this only if you're sure there won't be hard feelings).
  7. If you have second thoughts about an item you have up for grabs - speak up quickly. A simple "Hmm, I'm not so sure I'm ready to give that up yet," should suffice, before someone else gets too attached to the item.
  8. Be prepared - for a good time! You'll be surprised how much fun you'll have with a group of women trying on clothing!

This would work just as well with children's clothing, and don't forget your hubby's clothes...

6 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

I've done this for soccer teams - never thought of it for me. Great idea.

Rena Jones said...

This sounds like fun!

Kelly Polark said...

That's a cute idea, Brenda!
When I was in high school, my sister, my mom and I would share one another's clothes! Now I have my mom look through my giveaway pile before donating them. My closet is WAY too full, I need to go through it again.

Bish Denham said...

Great way to get the girls together for a good time!

Adrienne said...

The kids and I purge pretty regularly...I've been after my husband for so long to get rid of some things. I may have to take matters into my own hands...

Fun idea!

Christina Farley said...

Great ideas!