Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday's Green Living Solutions

Today's Green Living Solutions is going to be a hodge podge of things...My mind is going a thousand miles a minute in all different directions, so I just couldn't concentrate long enough on one thing...

Laundry:

Did you know that if you over dry your clothes in the dryer, that you are more likely to get static cling. Even if you use a fabric softener or dryer sheets. The friction from your clothes tumbling in the dry is what causes this. So, try not to over dry your clothing. This will not only help save you money on energy costs, but it will help your clothes last longer. Set your dryer to the lowest temperature and the shortest time dry...

Bathroom:

Think about this...The bathroom is where we start our days (I know I need a shower to wake me up in the mornings) and the bathroom is where we end our days (brushing our teeth, cleaning off our make-up, etc)...So don't you find it strange that the room in which we clean ourselves is not that clean...and I'm not talking about the soap scum in the bathtub. I'm talking about the chemicals that we use each day in this room...shaving cream, hair spray, cleaners, etc. Not to mention the fact that we have become a "disposable world"...disposable razors, disposable cleaner wipes, disposable toilet bowl cleaner scrubby thingies (I hope I don't throw anyone off with my technical terms...grin)...

The point is that we can be much "cleaner" to our earth, if we stop being so disposable. The only item in your bathroom that should be disposable is the toilet paper. After every shower, wipe down the shower walls and doors with the wash cloth you just used...you will be washing that cloth later and the only thing you are wiping down is the water and soap that has been left behind. If you could get every member to do this after their showers, you wouldn't need such harsh chemicals during those monthly top notch cleanings...A little vinegar will help with the soap scum...Rags instead of pop-up throw away rags work better. They don't tear and they last longer. And what would your mother-in-law say if she saw that disposable brush you use to clean your toilet! That thing can't clean as well as her old toilet bowl brush and her son's bum is too good to sit on a dirty toilet! Then he should stop being the one to tinkle all over it...but that is another blog day...grin...

Yes, disposable was nice and yes they don't make things like they use to, but what happened to a little elbow grease...Did you know you can burn something like 130 calories an hour cleaning...So toss those disposable items and use a little elbow grease...the earth will feel better and so will you...

Hugs...

5 comments:

Rena Jones said...

Love it! And LOL @ the tinkling on the toilet part!

Kelly Polark said...

Hee! Love your technical terms! (That's how I talk half the time!)
Great ideas for the bathroom! I always laughed at that disposable toilet brush, too. It seems SO wasteful! (though I do use disposable razors...)

Kimbra Kasch said...

It's funny, we call the clothes in the bathroom washrags rather than washcloths, probably because we use them soooo much. :)

Christina Farley said...

You have so many great ideas. You should make a book of this!

Marcia said...

Oops. Guilty on a fair amount of this. But not a disposal toilet brush! I didn't know they made these, actually. I suppose they say it's less germy to use a clean one each time. Great point on the vinegar and wiping down the shower walls.