Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hazel's Crockpot Thursday

First, George and I have decided that he will start posting recipes in April...out of respect for Hazel.

So you are kinda stuck with me for the next two crockpot postings...sorry... ;)

Okay, here goes...My dad is diabetic and mom was asking me the other day if I had any diabetic recipes for the crockpot. I was sure I didn't so I decided to research online to see what I could find.

I want everyone to know that I have not tested and/or tasted this recipe, so I can't tell you if they are any good or not...usually, the recipes I post are ones that Hazel has made for us or I have tried else wheres...so I know what has been taken out or what has been added to the recipe to make it what my family likes...Hazel was always reminding me that some of you might actually like mushrooms or kale or cabbage...I can't imagine, but okay...grin...

This recipe sounded tasty, so that is why I decided to share it...hope you enjoy!

Crock Pot Chicken Chowder Recipe (diabetic recipe)

½ cup chopped carrots
1 cup skim milk
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 potato, peeled and cubed
½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
2, 15 oz. cans creamed corn
¼ cup dried potato flakes
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients except dried potato flakes and cheese in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until potatoes are tender and chicken thoroughly cooked. Add potato flakes and stir well to combine. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Kimbra Kasch said...

Oh my husband is diabetic - so this would be a great one to try.

Kelly Polark said...

Hazel is so thoughtful to have recipes for everyone!
And George is one respectful crockpot to give Hazel the month of March...

Bish Denham said...

My mom is diabetic. We have to watch her carb intake because that shoots up her sugar levels. I bet if the potatoes and corn were eliminated this would work well for her. I know that kind of defeats the perpose of a "chowder" but, we can't have everythiing, now, can we? :)

Rena Jones said...

This sounds really good.

Adrienne said...

I'm one of those people who likes mushrooms and kale and cabbage... :)

The chowder sounds yummy.

Nora MacFarlane said...

Sounds good!

I talked about George's name contest to some of my students one day before class last week. Apparently, several students went home and told their moms how much I like Hazel's recipes. The moms have requested that I include your blog address in my newsletter next week so they can enjoy the recipes too!

Brenda said...

Kim...I'm glad it could help...since my mom wants more recipes like this, I might just share more in the future...

Kelly...yeah, I think I'm gonna like old George...he's winning me over pretty quick. ;)

Bish...does dried potato flakes count as carbs? I thought that might be the reason they used the flakes instead of the real thing...and I never thought about the corn...

Rena...I was a little surprised at how tasty it sounded also and mom said it was good...who knew eating healthy could taste good...grin...

adrienne...Okay, I will have to find some recipes that have those things in them...grin...but they won't be recipes that I have tasted... ;)

Nora...that is so neat...thanks...I will let George know he's all ready got a fan club...I hope he doesn't get as bossy as Hazel did... ;)