Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Tuesday's green living tips

This weeks green living tip is a simple little craft that I think young children (or even those young at heart) will want to do.

Green living means that you find better ways to use things...or rather...reuse them. And this project takes that idea and runs with it...or maybe I should say...slithers with it...

What you need for your door draft snake:

Old ties
rice
fabric glue
wiggly eyes

What you do:
  1. Put some fabric glue on the smaller end of the tie, and then put something heavy on top and let it dry overnight. This will seal it up that end so that your rice doesn't escape. You can also tie a knot or sew it up if you want.
  2. Pour the rice into the tie (don't over stuff it, but put enough to give your "snake" some life.
  3. Take the "flap" of the big end of the tie and close it up using the fabric glue or stitching it up...you don't want to tie this end into a knot.
  4. Glue the wiggly eyes on the large end to finish off your snake.
I know a lot of men who have ties they don't wear anymore (and some they never wore) and the best part is, there are so many different colored ties that you could make a different one for everyone you know.

Have you reused something today in a way that it didn't start out as? tie = snake

Hugs...

7 comments:

Christina Farley said...

Cute idea! I know my kids would love doing this. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow!

Bish Denham said...

I LOVE this idea and I think I'm going to get on it ASAP! Thanks Brenda.

Kelly Polark said...

Cute idea! I received the cookbook a few days ago, Brenda! Thanks so much!!!

Brenda said...

I was telling a friend about this and she went to the 2nd hand store and got about a dozen ties for like a quarter each!

Kelly...glad you got the cookbook...enjoy!

Rena Jones said...

Oh cool -- these sound like fun. We do stuff like this a lot for school. Kathy Ross' craft books are awesome to reuse things you have around the house. Great idea about the snake.

Tonya said...

What a great idea! I am going to suggest this for a VBS craft! Thanks Brenda!

Adrienne said...

What a great idea to use a tie! I love it!