Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 15-21, 2010.
This is something that I have tried to do for many years now and love finding new ways to practice it. Simple things like opening a door for someone or putting change in a parking meter that is about to expire...A Random Act that helps someone...
Several years ago, I was so busy with work and life, etc. that I was snapping at people right and left and I was not very nice...One day, I was running around doing errands in the rain and growling at everyone I came into contact with. And then this gentleman held the door for me and he offered me his umbrella...I barely gave him a glance, said, "No thank you" and headed out the door...and then he said something that made me stop & smile...he said, "I'll show you my smile if you show me yours"...it was something so silly, but it made me stop and realize how mean I had been...I never got his name and once I smiled, he told me to have a wonderful day and he was on his way...
When I told a friend this story, she said that I needed to "Pay it Forward"...meaning I had to do something for someone...just like he did...and so it started...
I'm planning on doing some simple things for the residents next week...like leave quarters in a washing machine for someone to use...or take out someone's trash...etc.
I'm also planning on posting some simple acts of kindness for them so they can practice their RAK and so they can see how easy it really is to do...
Here's a website that has some neat ideas, etc.
Acts of Kindness
I love learning new ways to "Pay it Forward" by using Random Acts of Kindness. What about you? Have you practiced your RAK today?
So here's to you having a Wonderfully productive Random Acts of Kindness Week...
3 comments:
I gave out Valentines to the girls at work. They looked at me kinda funny but I said "hey we got 'em as kids" but when we grow up we forget to play or do anything fun or for ourselves. Then they smiled.
Guess I never grew up.
I hand out those Valentine cards that you get for your 1st grader to the residents, in a little baggy with some candy...some think I've lost my mind, but most love getting them...grin...
This is a wonderful thing. I regularly hold doors open and hubby cleans up the trash along our strech of road. There are other random things that we do but those two are regular.
Recently I read this quote somewhere that I think is by Anon.
"Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Post a Comment