So, after taking a little over a year off, I've started getting back into writing, so I since I've been out-of-the-loop for awhile, I thought I would ask some questions...
Do you have a critique partner or group? Why does it work for you? Are they close to you or online? How do things work? Do you email each other, get together? How often?
And if you have no critique partner/group...how do you keep yourself motivated? How do you know your stories are ready to go out into the world?
Thanks for any and all answers/help...Hugs...Brenda
6 comments:
I have both a partner and a group. I find my critique partner's advice the most helpful and detailed. The quality of the group's advice depends on who attends that day. We have had both published and unpublished members attend. I like the group because there is a built-in deadline. I know that once a month I must complete at least one chapter. I like my partner because not only are her critiques detailed, she gives me a call if she doesn't get material on a regular basis. It keeps me working, because I don't want to get the "I'm WAITING" phone call!
I have a group - we get together twice a month. They are very helpful with insights I haven't seen. And everyone sees things differently so that I get a large perspective. :)
And welcome back to the writing world !!!
I have one group; for a short time I had two. The first is face to face, the second was online. In the FF group (meets monthly) we read each other's mss. silently and make notes, then discuss. There are also a couple of people in this group that I can exchange work with "outside" the meeting. In the online group, each week it was one person's turn to submit. Two groups got to be too much. Advantage: you really need another pair of eyes. Disadvantage: getting your work critiqued too early in the process can be a de-motivator.
I have neither. I suck. :(
I was in an online group. All of us submitted something each month. It got so I was reading and critiquing more than I was writing for myself. Also I got so many conflicting opinions about what I submitted that I got totally confused. I eventually had to drop out because I got so overwhelmed.
I do have a couple of people to whom I give stuff to read. They are people who are avid readers, and who I trust to give me an honest crit, who won't pull punches.
As for knowing when a story is ready...I've been writing long enough to have that intuitive sense that tells me it's finished.
Thanks everyone...I've been in both face-to-face and online and I agree it can be very overwhelming...and I did spend a lot of time critiquing and I noticed my writing suffered for that...I have a critique buddy, but I think she is sometimes afraid of hurting my feelings, so I'm not sure her critiques are always where they should be...
Rena...You seem to be doing just fine without a critique buddy and/or group...grin...
Thanks again all...Hugs...
Post a Comment